Sunday 29 July 2012

Pictorial meadow


Every morning on my way to work, I drive past a patch of waste land. Last summer, something magical happened.


I hadn't even noticed anything was growing until, one day, there was an explosion of colour, and the waste land was transformed into an old-fashioned meadow. 


It turns out it was part of a new gardening movement called the 'Pictorial Meadow' developed by Nigel Dunnett. Well done Nigel, I say, as it was one of the highlights of my day.


And the good news is that it's back again this year! I was thrilled when, a couple of weeks ago, the flowers emerged. According to the web site this is the 'Candy' mix: poppies, lupins, toadflax, tansy, cornflowers, corn marigolds.  At the moment, the poppies and lupins are at their peak but the scene changes on a daily basis. This week, clouds of white flowers have started to appear. What will it be like tomorrow? I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment