Sunday 20 October 2013

Chocolate, courgette & macadamia nut cake


Last month I promised you another courgette cake recipe. While I was leafing through my collection of recipes torn from magazines and newspapers, I came across one which I hadn't made before. The original used rapeseed oil and hazelnuts but I didn't have either of those so I substituted what I did have in my store cupboard. I also changed the method slightly and have included a more helpful indication of how much courgette you'll need. Ironically, after the summer glut, I didn't have enough courgettes in the garden so had to buy some! I also had to buy dark chocolate and came across some 150g bars in the supermarket which were reduced to the bargain price of 30p! The line is being discontinued but they still had a best before date of 2015. Needless to say I bought several bars as it's a pretty safe bet I'll be making something with chocolate over the next year :)


200g dark chocolate
2 large eggs
150ml vegetable oil
200g grated courgette
200g self-raising flour
120g caster sugar
50g macadamia nuts, finely chopped
4tbsp amaretto

  1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160 Fan/Gas 4.
  2. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
  3. Put the eggs and oil in a bowl and whisk until light and fluffy.
  4. Add the grated courgette and gently stir into the egg/oil mixture.
  5. Combine the flour, sugar and a pinch of salt and add to the courgette mixture.
  6. Then add the macadamia nuts and melted chocolate. Stir until completely mixed through.
  7. Pour into a 20cm (8") cake tin and bake for 45 minutes until the cake is cooked and feels firm but springy.
  8. Leave in the tin and, while the cake is still warm, pierce all over with a skewer and pour over the amaretto.
  9. Leave the amaretto to soak in for a few minutes and then turn out and allow to cool.

We ate it at room temperature one day when it was lighter and fluffier, and out of the fridge the next day when it seemed richer and denser (I preferred it this way). It's not as sweet or chocolatey as I expected so would be good with a chocolate icing. I served it drizzled with more amaretto and some cream. Yum yum!

*********************************************


Before I go, I wanted to share these photos of the sky taken at about 7.30 one morning this week. Amazing. Stunning.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. x

5 comments:

  1. Love your photos of the sunrise, our house faces East so we get some good ones too. We step out and the view is sometimes stunning.
    I think that courgette is the same as our zuchinni. Funny you had to buy some after all you had this summer, life is funny that way sometimes!
    I am wanting some chocolate cake with my coffee this morning, I wonder why that is? ;-)
    OH! And I want that cake on a pretty rosy plate like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful sky and the cake sounds pretty good too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake looks really interesting- and that sky is amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What gorgeous sunrise photos. I am always compelled to photograph all sunsets and sunrises if I can, I'm glad you do it to! I love the look of that cake. Yum. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cake looks delicious, will have to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete