Tuesday 15 October 2013

Collaring a dress


I thought I'd share with you something different after all the 'visit' posts. Several months ago I bought this dress and, although I loved the bicycle pattern and the colour, I did think it was a little plain.


I knew immediately that it would look good with a crochet or lace collar. These proved more difficult to track down than I thought but I did eventually find some in Abakhan. Not exactly what I'd envisaged but very pretty and an absolute bargain price of 50p for both!


And this is how the dress looks now. It took a couple of attempts to get the collar to lie flat but I'm really happy with the way it's turned out. I'd worn it a few times before sewing on the collar with no reaction. However, every time I've worn it since, I've had lots of positive comments - even my Mum noticed! It's amazing how much difference a little change can make :)

3 comments:

  1. Goodness, what a difference! It changes a nice dress into a very gorgeous dress straight away. I've always fancied crocheting a collar to perk up a nice plain black t-shirt, but never got around to it. I really love what you've done here. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Julie this is just gorgeous! I really love it, the collar looks so pretty on the dress...which I adore too by the way...bet you can't wait to wear it. I started a little crochet frill thing a week or two ago and you have inspired me to get on and finish it so I can put it on a pretty top or dress too. Thank you!
    Marianne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful transformation! I love the juxtaposition of the delicate lace with the bicycle print.

    ReplyDelete